Re: pg_background (and more parallelism infrastructure patches)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_background (and more parallelism infrastructure patches)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
> The only case I can think of would be actually connecting to a remote
> database; in that case would we even want something as raw as this? I
> suspect not, in which case I don't see an issue. On the other hand, if we
> ever think we might want to do that, we should probably at least stick a
> version number field in there...
>
> But my suspicion is if we ever wanted to do something more with this then
> we'd want some kind of text-based format that could be passed into a SQL
> command (ie: SET ENVIRONMENT TO blah;)

I mean, I don't think this is much different than what we're already
doing to transfer variables from the postmaster to other backends in
EXEC_BACKEND builds; see write_nondefault_variables().  It doesn't
have a version number or anything either.  I don't see a reason why
this code needs to be held to a different standard; the purpose is
fundamentally quite similar.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company