Re: Misleading error message in logical decoding for binary plugins

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Misleading error message in logical decoding for binary plugins
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> > That level has no knowledge of what it's used by, so I think that'd
>> > require bigger changes than worth it.
>>
>> ERROR: this logical decoding plugin can only produce binary output
>> ERROR: logical decoding plugin "%s" can only produce binary output
>
> ERROR: logical decoding plugin "%s" produces binary output, but sink only copes with textual data
>
> Not sure about 'sink'. Maybe 'receiving side' or 'receiver'?
>
> Not 100% sure if the name is available in that site, but if not it can
> be left of without hurting much.

I was trying to avoid mentioning the word "sink" because we don't
actually have a real term for that.  From the user's perspective, it's
not going to be obvious that the function they invoked is the sink or
receiver; to them, it's just an interface - if anything, it's a
*sender* of the changes to them.

In case I lose that argument, please at least write "allows" instead
of "copes with"; the latter I think is too informal for an error
message.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company