Re: pg_comments (was: Allow \dd to show constraint comments)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_comments (was: Allow \dd to show constraint comments)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On the third hand, Josh's previous batch of changes to clean up
>> psql's behavior in this area are clearly a huge improvement: you can
>> now display the comment for nearly anything by running the appropriate
>> \d<foo> command for whatever the object type is.  So ... is this still
>> a good idea, or should we just forget about it?
>
> I think this question is a part of a broader concern, namely do we
> want to create and support system views for easier access to
> information which is already available in different ways through psql
> commands, or by manually digging around in the catalogs? I believe
> there are at least several examples of existing views we maintain
> which are very similar to pg_comments: pg_seclabel seems quite
> similar, for instance.

That's one's a direct analogue, but I don't want to overbroaden the
issue.  I guess it just seems to me that if no one's going to champion
adding this, maybe we shouldn't.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: patch for new feature: Buffer Cache Hibernation
Сообщение: Re: patch for new feature: Buffer Cache Hibernation