Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Joel Jacobson <joel@trustly.com> wrote:
>> On 4 sep 2014, at 17:18, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You just need a ISAM API for Postgres, That is all.
>
> Now you are being ironic, and I would prefer to keep the discussion on
> a serious level. You know that's not applicable in my case, you know
> what I do for work and what kind of system we already have.
>
> I *love* plpgsql and our development method. I just want it to get
> slightly more convenient and secure.
>
> When you suggest ISAM, that's like saying "demolish your house and
> build a new one" when all I want is to make small but important
> changes to what I already do as a professional on a daily basis.

Go right ahead: this is an open source project, after all, and with an
extremely permissive license to boot.  You can modify your copy of
PL/pgsql, or clone it and make PL/joelsql and then change whatever you
like.  Optionally, you could then publish that on PGXN for others to
use and contribute to.

On the other hand, if what you want is for other people to make
changes to the official versions of PostgreSQL that are supported and
maintained by the community, then that's a different thing altogether.
It entails two challenges: first, to persuade the community that those
changes will be good for everyone, not just you; and second,
convincing them that they (rather than you) should be the ones to do
the work.  So far I'd say you're losing the first argument, and I
expect you'll lose the second one, too (barring a financial
transaction, of course).

I'm not trying to brush you off here - I understand your concerns, and
they're not stupid.  But, like most of the people who have commented,
I don't agree that your proposals would be an improvement for the
majority of people.  There are several ways to deal with that, but if
your goal is to get those changes made in the PostgreSQL community
then you have to acknowledge the competing concerns to be just as
valid as your own and come up with a proposal everyone can live with.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company