Re: Way to check whether a particular block is on the shared_buffer?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Way to check whether a particular block is on the shared_buffer?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:
> Hmm. In my experience, it is often not a productive discussion whether
> a feature is niche or commodity. So, let me change the viewpoint.
>
> We may utilize OS-level locking mechanism here.
>
> Even though it depends on filesystem implementation under the VFS,
> we may use inode->i_mutex lock that shall be acquired during the buffer
> copy from user to kernel, at least, on a few major filesystems; ext4,
> xfs and btrfs in my research. As well, the modified NVMe SSD driver can
> acquire the inode->i_mutex lock during P2P DMA transfer.
>
> Once we can consider the OS buffer is updated atomically by the lock,
> we don't need to worry about corrupted pages, but still needs to pay
> attention to the scenario when updated buffer page is moved to GPU.
>
> In this case, PD_ALL_VISIBLE may give us a hint. GPU side has no MVCC
> infrastructure, so I intend to move all-visible pages only.
> If someone updates the buffer concurrently, then write out the page
> including invisible tuples, PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag shall be cleared because
> updated tuples should not be visible to the transaction which issued
> P2P DMA.
>
> Once GPU met a page with !PD_ALL_VISIBLE, it can return an error status
> that indicates CPU to retry this page again. In this case, this page is
> likely loaded to the shared buffer already, so retry penalty is not so
> much.
>
> I'll try to investigate the implementation in this way.
> Please correct me, if I misunderstand something (especially, treatment
> of PD_ALL_VISIBLE).

I suppose there's no theoretical reason why the buffer couldn't go
from all-visible to not-all-visible and back to all-visible again all
during the time you are copying it.

Honestly, I think trying to access buffers without going through
shared_buffers is likely to be very hard to make correct and probably
a loser.  Copying the data into shared_buffers and then to the GPU is,
doubtless, at least somewhat slower.  But I kind of doubt that it's
enough slower to make up for all of the problems you're going to have
with the approach you've chosen.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company