Re: Silent Data Manipulation - Time(stamp) w/o Time Zone Literals w/ TZ

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Silent Data Manipulation - Time(stamp) w/o Time Zone Literals w/ TZ
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM, David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> "In a literal that has been determined to be timestamp without time zone,
> PostgreSQL will silently ignore any time zone indication. That is, the
> resulting value is derived from the date/time fields in the input value, and
> is not adjusted for time zone."
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/datatype-datetime.html
>
> 8.5.1.3 Time Stamps
>
> Not exactly a widely impactful decision but is there harm in emitting a
>
> "NOTICE: timezone specification ignored"

Well, it could emit a catastrophic amount of log chatter.  Try doing a
bulk load into a table with a column of that type.

In general, I'm not a big fan of accepting things and ignoring them.
We've prided ourselves on having tighter data type checking than
pretty much any other database product out there, but somehow we still
have edge cases like this floating around.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company