Re: dynamic shared memory

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: dynamic shared memory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Not sure whether you mean non-windows EXEC_BACKEND isn't going to be
> supported for much longer or that it already has problems.

I'm not sure what Noah was getting at, but I have used EXEC_BACKEND
twice now during development, in situations where I would have needed
a Windows development otherwise.  So it's definitely useful, at least
to me.  But on my MacBook Pro, you have to compile it with -fno-pie (I
think that's the right flag) to disable ASLR in order to get reliable
operation.  I imagine such problems will become commonplace on more
and more platforms as time wears on.

> I guess my point is that if we want to develop stuff that requires
> reliable addresses, we should build support for that from a low level
> up. Not rely on a hack^Wlayer ontop of the actual dynamic shared memory
> API.
> That is, it should be a flag to dsm_create() that we require a fixed
> address and dsm_attach() will then automatically use that or die
> trying. Requiring implementations to take care about passing addresses
> around and fiddling with mmap/windows api to make sure those mappings
> are possible doesn't strike me to be a good idea.
>
> In the end, you're going to be the primary/first user as far as I
> understand things, so you'll have to argue whether we need fixed
> addresses or not. I don't think it's a good idea to forgo this decision
> on this layer and bolt on another ontop if we decide it's neccessary.

I didn't intend to punt that decision to another layer so much as
another patch and a more detailed examination of requirements.   IME,
given a choice between something that is 99% reliable and provides
more functionality, or something that is 99.99% reliable and provides
less functionality, this community picks the latter every time.  And
that's why I've left out any capability to insist on a fixed address
from this patch.  It would be nice to have, to be sure.  But it also
would take more work and add more complexity, and I don't have a clear
sense that that work would be justified.

Now, we might get to a point where it seems clear that we're not going
to get any further with parallelism without adding a capability for
fixed-address mappings.  If that happens, I think that's the time to
come back to this layer and add that capability.  But right now it
doesn't seem essential.  Now, having said that, I didn't see any
particular reason to bury the ability to pass mmap() or shmat() a
*preferred* address.  But IJWH.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company