Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:42 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, my main point, which so far has largely been ignored, was that we
> > may not acquire page locks when we still need to search for victim
> > buffers later. If we don't need to lock the pages up-front, but only do
> > so once we're actually copying the records into the undo pages, then we
> > don't a separate phase to acquire the locks. We can still hold all of
> > the page locks at the same time, as long as we just acquire them at the
> > later stage.
>
> Okay, IIUC, this means that we should have a separate phase where we
> call LockUndoBuffers (or something like that) before
> InsertPreparedUndo and after PrepareUndoInsert.  The LockUndoBuffers
> will lock all the buffers pinned during PrepareUndoInsert.  We can
> probably call LockUndoBuffers before entering the critical section to
> avoid any kind of failure in critical section.  If so, that sounds
> reasonable to me.

I'm kind of scratching my head here, because this is clearly different
than what Andres said in the quoted text to which you were replying.
He clearly implied that we should acquire the buffer locks within the
critical section during InsertPreparedUndo, and you responded by
proposing to do it outside the critical section in a separate step.
Regardless of which way is actually better, when somebody says "hey,
let's do A!" and you respond by saying "sounds good, I'll go implement
B!" that's not really helping us to get toward a solution.

FWIW, although I also thought of doing what you are describing here, I
think Andres's proposal is probably preferable, because it's simpler.
There's not really any reason why we can't take the buffer locks from
within the critical section, and that way callers don't have to deal
with the extra step.

> >  My secondary point was that *none* of this actually is
> > documented, even if it's entirely unobvious to the reader that the
> > relevant code can only run during WAL insertion, due to being pretty far
> > removed from that.
>
> I think this can be clearly mentioned in README or someplace else.

It also needs to be adequately commented in the files and functions involved.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company