Re: [HACKERS] [bug-fix] Cannot select big bytea values (~600MB)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [bug-fix] Cannot select big bytea values (~600MB)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Anna Akenteva
<a.akenteva@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> It's not necessarily my goal. My goal is to avoid the confusing situation
> where you insert something into a table and suddenly everything seems to
> break for no reason and you don't get any information on what to do next. As
> I see it, it could be solved with:
> a) allowing including big bytea values but making sure that it doesn't cause
> problems (which I tried to do with my patch)
> b) prohibiting inserting the kind of data that will cause problems
> c) informing the user about the issue (maybe documenting this behaviour or
> giving a more informative error message)

+1.  We don't have to support everything, but things that don't work
should fail on insertion, not retrieval.  Otherwise what we have is
less a database and more a data black hole.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company