Re: [HACKERS] Re: 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] Re: 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> [ speculation ]

OK, I finally managed to reproduce this, after some off-list help from
Steve Kehlet (the reporter), Alvaro, and Thomas Munro.  Here's how to
do it:

1. Install any pre-9.3 version of the server and generate enough
multixacts to create at least TWO new segments.  When you shut down
the server, all segments except for the most current one will be
removed.  At this point, the only thing in
$PGDATA/pg_multixact/offsets should be a single file, and the name of
that file should not be 0000 or 0001.

2. Use pg_upgrade to upgrade to 9.3.4.  It is possible that versions <
9.3.4 will also work here, but you must not use 9.3.5 or higher,
because 9.3.5 includes Bruce's commit 3d2e18510, which arranged to
preserve relminmxid and datminmxid values.   At this point,
pg_controldata on the new cluster should show an oldestMultiXid value
greater than 1 (copied from the old cluster), but all the datminmxid
values are 1.  Also, initdb will have left behind a bogus 0000 file in
pg_multixact/offsets.

3. Move to 9.3.5 (or 9.3.6), not via pg_upgrade, but just by dropping
in the new binaries.  Follow the instructions in the 9.3.5 release
notes; since you created at least TWO new segments in step one, there
will be no 0001 file, and the query there will say that you should
remove the bogus 0000 file.  So do that, leaving just the good file in
pg_multixact/offsets.  At this point, pg_multixact/offsets is OK, and
pg_controldata still says that oldestMultiXid > 1, so that is also OK.
The only problem is that we've got some bogus datminmxid values
floating around.  Our next step will be to convince vacuum to
propagate the bogus datminmxid values back into pg_controldata.

4. Consume at least one transaction ID (e.g. SELECT txid_current())
and then do this:

postgres=# set vacuum_freeze_min_age = 0;
SET
postgres=# set vacuum_freeze_table_age = 0;
SET
postgres=# vacuum;
VACUUM

Setting the GUCs forces full table scans, so that we advance
relfrozenxid.  But notice that we were careful not to just run VACUUM
FREEZE, which would have also advanced relminmxid, which, for purposes
of reproducing this bug, is not what we want to happen.  So relminmxid
is still (incorrectly) set to 1 for every database.  However, since
the vacuum did advance relfrozenxid, it will call vac_truncate_clog,
which will call SetMultiXactIdLimit, which will propagate the bogus
datminmxid = 1 setting into shared memory.

(In my testing, this step doesn't work if performed on 9.3.4; you have
to do it on 9.3.5.  I think that's because of Tom's commit 78db307bb,
but I believe in a more complex test scenario you might be able to get
this to happen on 9.3.4 also.)

I believe it's the case that an autovacuum of even a single table can
substitute for this step if it happens to advance relfrozenxid but not
relminmxid.

5. The next checkpoint, or the shutdown checkpoint in any event, will
propagate the bogus value of 1 from shared memory back into the
control file.

6. Now try to start 9.3.7.  It will see the bogus oldestMultiXid = 1
value in the control file, attempt to read the corresponding offsets
file, and die.

In the process of investigating this, we found a few other things that
seem like they may also be bugs:

- As noted upthread, replaying an older checkpoint after a newer
checkpoint has already happened may lead to similar problems.  This
may be possible when starting from an online base backup; or when
restarting a standby that did not perform a restartpoint when
replaying the last checkpoint before the shutdown.

- pg_upgrade sets datminmxid =
old_cluster.controldata.chkpnt_nxtmulti, which is correct only if
there are ZERO multixacts in use at the time of the upgrade.  It would
be best, I think, to set this to the same value it had in the old
cluster, but if we're going to use a blanket value, I think it needs
to be chkpnt_oldstMulti.

- There's a third possible problem related to boundary cases in
SlruScanDirCbRemoveMembers, but I don't understand that one well
enough to explain it.  Maybe Thomas can jump in here and explain the
concern.

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas