Re: Pg_upgrade and toast tables bug discovered

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Pg_upgrade and toast tables bug discovered
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 09:40:33PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:

>> > What would be nice is if I could mark just the tables that will need
>> > toast tables created in that later phase (those tables that didn't have
>> > a toast table in the old cluster, but need one in the new cluster).
>> > However, I can't see where to store that or how to pass that back into
>> > pg_upgrade.  I don't see a logical place in pg_class to put it.
>>
>> This seems overengineered. Why not just do
>> SELECT pg_upgrade.maintain_toast(oid) FROM pg_class WHERE relkind = 'r';
>>
>> and in maintain_toast() just call AlterTableCreateToastTable()?
>
> I didn't think you could call into backend functions like that, and if I
> did, it might break something in the future.

It would be impossible to write meaningful code in extensions if that
were true.  Yeah, it could break in the future, but it's not
particularly likely, the regression tests should catch it if it
happens, and it's no worse a risk here than in any other extension
code which does this.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company