Re: pgcon unconference / impact of block size on performance

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pgcon unconference / impact of block size on performance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 7:23 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> This opened a long discussion about possible explanations - I claimed
> one of the main factors is the adoption of flash storage, due to pretty
> fundamental differences between HDD and SSD systems. But the discussion
> concluded with an agreement to continue investigating this, so here's an
> attempt to support the claim with some measurements/data.

Interesting. I wonder if the fact that x86 machines have a 4kB page
size matters here. It seems hard to be sure because it's not something
you can really change. But there are a few of your graphs where 4kB
spikes up above any higher or lower value, and maybe that's why?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com