Re: heap vacuum & cleanup locks

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: heap vacuum & cleanup locks
Дата
Re: heap vacuum & cleanup locks  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would still be nice to fix the case where we need to freeze a tuple
>> that is on a page someone else has pinned, but I don't have any good
>> ideas for how to do that.
>
> I think we need to avoid long pin hold times generally.

In the case of a suspended sequential scan, which is the case where
this has most recently bitten me on a production system, it actually
seems rather unnecessary to hold the pin for a long period of time.
If we release the buffer pin, then someone could vacuum the buffer.  I
haven't looked in detail at the issues, but in theory that doesn't
seem like a huge problem: just remember which TIDs you've already
looked at and, when you re-acquire the buffer, pick up where you left
off.  Any tuples that have been vacuumed away meanwhile weren't going
to be visible to your scan anyway.

But there's an efficiency argument against doing it that way.  First,
if we release the pin then we'll have to reacquire the buffer, which
means taking and releasing a BufMappingLock, the buffer header
spinlock, and the buffer content lock.  Second, instead of returning a
pointer to the data in the page, we'll have to copy the data out of
the buffer before releasing the pin.

The situation is similar (perhaps even simpler) for index-only scans.
We could easily release the heap buffer pin after returning a tuple,
but it will make things much slower if the next heap fetch hits the
same page.

I wonder if we could arrange for a vacuum that's waiting for a cleanup
lock to signal the backends that could possibly be holding a
conflicting pin.  Sort of like what the startup process does during
Hot Standby, except that instead of killing the people holding the
pins, we'd send them a signal that says "if at all possible, could you
please release those buffer pins right away?", and then the backends
would try to comply.  Actually making that work though seems a bit
tricky, though, and getting it wrong would mean very, very rare,
nearly unreproducible bugs.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company