Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Re: Reviewing freeze map code  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> 7087166 pg_upgrade: Convert old visibility map format to new format.
>
> +const char *
> +rewriteVisibilityMap(const char *fromfile, const char *tofile, bool force)
>
> +       while ((bytesRead = read(src_fd, buffer, BLCKSZ)) == BLCKSZ)
> +       {
> ..
>
> Uh, shouldn't we actually fail if we read incompletely? Rather than
> silently ignoring the problem? Ok, this causes no corruption, but it
> indicates that something went significantly wrong.

Sure, that's reasonable.

> +                       char            new_vmbuf[BLCKSZ];
> +                       char       *new_cur = new_vmbuf;
> +                       bool            empty = true;
> +                       bool            old_lastpart;
> +
> +                       /* Copy page header in advance */
> +                       memcpy(new_vmbuf, &pageheader, SizeOfPageHeaderData);
>
> Shouldn't we zero out new_vmbuf? Afaics we're not necessarily zeroing it
> with old_lastpart && !empty, right?

Oh, dear.  That seems like a possible data corruption bug.  Maybe we'd
better fix that right away (although I don't actually have time before
the wrap).

> +       if ((dst_fd = open(tofile, O_RDWR | O_CREAT | (force ? 0 : O_EXCL), S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) < 0)
> +       {
> +               close(src_fd);
> +               return getErrorText();
> +       }
>
> I know you guys copied this, but what's the force thing about?
> Expecially as it's always set to true by the callers (i.e. what is the
> parameter even about?)?  Wouldn't we at least have to specify O_TRUNC in
> the force case?

I just work here.

> +                               old_cur += BITS_PER_HEAPBLOCK_OLD;
> +                               new_cur += BITS_PER_HEAPBLOCK;
>
> I'm not sure I'm understanding the point of the BITS_PER_HEAPBLOCK_OLD
> stuff - as long as it's hardcoded into rewriteVisibilityMap() we'll not
> be able to have differing ones anyway, should we decide to add a third
> bit?

I think that's just a matter of style.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code