Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle, MySQL and DB2 all use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE. Actually, Oracle and
> MySQL only use MAXVALUE, not MINVALUE, because they don't allow gaps
> between partitions and the first partition implicitly starts at
> MINVALUE, so the bounds that we currently support are a strict
> superset of those supported by Oracle and MySQL.
>
> Both Oracle and MySQL allow finite values after MAXVALUE (usually
> listed as "0" in code examples, e.g. see [1]). Oracle explicitly
> documents the fact that values after MAXVALUE are irrelevant in [1].
> I'm not sure if MySQL explicitly documents that, but it does behave
> the same.
>
> Also, both Oracle and MySQL store what the user entered (they do not
> canonicalise), as can be seen by looking at ALL_TAB_PARTITIONS in
> Oracle, or "show create table" in MySQL.

OK, thanks.  I still don't really like allowing this, but I can see
that compatibility with other systems has some value here, and if
nobody else is rejecting these cases, maybe we shouldn't either.  So
I'll hold my nose and change my vote to canonicalizing rather than
rejecting outright.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company