Re: Should we get rid of custom_variable_classes altogether?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Should we get rid of custom_variable_classes altogether?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Perhaps it's best to document this usage and include the warning for
> those less "bright," as you term them.   I'd be less tempted to call
> them "not bright" and more tempted to think they might assume
> PostgreSQL already takes care of cleaning this up, but whatever.

Yeah.  custom_variable_classes is a pretty annoying wart, but if it's
set to the default value (namely, empty) then it actually does prevent
people from setting bajillions of completely pointless settings, which
seems like it has some merit.  I'm not sure it has enough merit to
justify keeping it around, but it has more than none.  We could allow
entering a date of February 31st, too, but we don't.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company