Re: missing toast table for pg_policy

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: missing toast table for pg_policy
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
> Is there really a compelling reason to not just create toast tables for
> all system catalogs as in the attached? Then we could just check for 0
> rows in misc_sanity.sql.

+1.  I don't have a huge problem with excluding a few key catalogs for
which we think it might be unsafe, but in general it seems like a good
idea to settle on a policy of including them everywhere else.
Omitting one or even half a dozen TOAST tables on system catalogs
doesn't save anything material for users, but does succeed in annoying
some user who is trying to do something a little off the beaten path.
It also doesn't save anything for developers; indeed, the cognitive
load comes mostly from having to argue about which things should get
TOAST tables.  If we just add them everywhere, we can stop arguing
about this; no other policy will have that effect.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Constifying numeric.c's local vars
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Constifying numeric.c's local vars