Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Дата
Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 5:05 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 12:59 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alexander's example seems to show that it's not that simple. If I'm
> > reading his example correctly, with things like aid = 1, the
> > transformation usually wins even if the number of things in the OR
> > expression is large, but with things like aid + 1 * bid = 1, the
> > transformation seems to lose at least with larger numbers of items. So
> > it's not JUST the number of OR elements but also what they contain,
> > unless I'm misunderstanding his point.
>
> Alexander said "Generally, I don't see why ANY could be executed
> slower than the equivalent OR clause". I understood that this was his
> way of expressing the following idea:
>
> "In principle, there is no reason to expect execution of ANY() to be
> slower than execution of an equivalent OR clause (except for
> noise-level differences). While it might not actually look that way
> for every single type of plan you can imagine right now, that doesn't
> argue for making a cost-based decision. It actually argues for fixing
> the underlying issue, which can't possibly be due to some kind of
> fundamental advantage enjoyed by expression evaluation with ORs".
>
> This is also what I think of all this.

I agree with that, with some caveats, mainly that the reverse is to
some extent also true. Maybe not completely, because arguably the
ANY() formulation should just be straight-up easier to deal with, but
in principle, the two are equivalent and it shouldn't matter which
representation we pick.

But practically, it may, and we need to be sure that we don't put in
place a translation that is theoretically a win but in practice leads
to large regressions. Avoiding regressions here is more important than
capturing all the possible gains. A patch that wins in some scenarios
and does nothing in others can be committed; a patch that wins in even
more scenarios but causes serious regressions in some cases probably
can't.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com