Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> It's weird that SET LOCAL and SET SESSION actually *set* the value, and
> the second key word determines how long the setting will last.  SET
> PERSISTENT doesn't actually set the value.  I predict that this will be
> a new favorite help-it-doesn't-work FAQ.

I think this is another argument against this particular syntax.  I
have always thought that something along the lines of ALTER SYSTEM
would be more appropriate.  ALTER DATABASE .. SET and ALTER ROLE ..
SET don't change the value immediately either, and nobody gets
confused about that to my knowledge.  But I can see where SET
PERSISTENT could cause that sort of confusion.

...Robert