Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 2:04 AM Peter Eisentraut
> The handling of results of SQL statements executed at the top level
> (a.k.a. direct SQL) is implementation-specific and varies widely in
> practice.  More interesting in practice, in terms of functionality and
> also compatibility, are nested calls in PL/pgSQL as well as integration
> in JDBC.

I agree that driver integration, and in particular JDBC integration,
is important and needs some thought. I don't think it horribly
matters, with a feature like this, what shows up when people type
stuff into psql. Whatever it is, people will get used to it. But when
they interact through a driver, it's different. It is no good
inventing things, either in PostgreSQL or in the JDBC driver for
PostgreSQL, that make PostgreSQL behave differently from every other
database they use. I don't know exactly how we get to a good outcome
here, but I think it's worth some careful consideration.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company