Re: relscan_details.h

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: relscan_details.h
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Now, htup_details.h was a bit different than the case at hand because
> there's evidently lots of code that want to deal with the guts of
> tuples, but for scans you mainly want to start one, iterate and finish,
> but don't care much about the innards.  So the cleanup work required is
> going to be orders of magnitude smaller.

I think the point is that we failed to predict the knock-on
consequences of that refactoring accurately.  If we make enough such
changes, we will probably face such issues again.  Sure, we can hope
that our ability to predict which changes will be disruptive will
improve with practice, but I doubt it's ever going to be perfect.

I certainly don't have the only vote here.  I'm just telling you that
from my point of view the last round of changes was a noticeable
headache and I don't really feel that I'm better off because of it, so
I'm in not in favor of continuing to make such changes on a regular
basis.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company