Re: Normalizing units for postgresql.conf WAS: Patch: raise default for max_wal_segments to 1GB

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Normalizing units for postgresql.conf WAS: Patch: raise default for max_wal_segments to 1GB
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Sure.  Although, do we take (s) for tcp_keepalives_idle?  Or only an INT?
>>
>> It's a "time unit", so you can say "10s" or "10000ms". If you don't
>> specify a unit, it implies seconds.
>
> So if we're going to make this consistent, let's make it consistent.
>
> 1. All GUCs which accept time/size units will have them on the default
> setting.

+1.

> 2. Time/size comments will be removed, *except* from GUCs which do not
> accept (ms/s/min) or (kB/MB/GB).

+1.

> Argument Against: will create unnecessary diff changes between 9.4's
> pg.conf and 9.5's pg.conf.

I don't care about that.  I don't like to change postgresql.conf in
minor releases unless we have important reasons for doing so, but
changing it in major releases seems fine.

I do like Greg Stark's suggestion of also warning about unitless settings.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company