Re: relfilenode statistics

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: relfilenode statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 11:17 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> If we just want to keep prior stats upon arelation rewrite, we can just copy
> the stats from the old relfilenode.  Or we can decide that those stats don't
> really make sense anymore, and start from scratch.

I think we need to think carefully about what we want the user
experience to be here. "Per-relfilenode stats" could mean "sometimes I
don't know the relation OID so I want to use the relfilenumber
instead, without changing the user experience" or it could mean "some
of these stats actually properly pertain to the relfilenode rather
than the relation so I want to associate them with the right object
and that will affect how the user sees things." We need to decide
which it is. If it's the former, then we need to examine whether the
goal of hiding the distinction between relfilenode stats and relation
stats from the user is in fact feasible. If it's the latter, then we
need to make sure the whole patch reflects that design, which would
include e.g. NOT copying stats from the old to the new relfilenode,
and which would also include documenting the behavior in a way that
will be understandable to users.

In my experience, the worst thing you can do in cases like this is be
somewhere in the middle. Then you tend to end up with stuff like: the
difference isn't supposed to be something that the user knows or cares
about, except that they do have to know and care because you haven't
thoroughly covered up the deception, and often they have to reverse
engineer the behavior because you didn't document what was really
happening because you imagined that they wouldn't notice.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com