Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:27 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, but since multiple relations might be specified in VACUUM
> command we need to process index_cleanup option after opened each
> relations. Maybe we need to process all options except for
> INDEX_CLEANUP in ExecVacuum() and pass VacuumStmt down to vacuum_rel()
> and process it  in manner of you suggested after opened the relation.
> Is that right?

Blech, no, let's not do that.  We'd better use some method that can
indicate yes/no/default.  Something like psql's trivalue thingy, but
probably not exactly that.  We can define an enum for this purpose,
for example - VACUUM_INDEX_CLEANUP_{ENABLED,DISABLED,DEFAULT}.  Or
maybe there's some other way.  But let's not pass bits of the parse
tree around any more than really required.

> > I think it would be better to just ignore the INDEX_CLEANUP option
> > when FULL is specified.
>
> Okay, but why do we ignore that in this case while we complain in the
> case of FULL and DISABLE_PAGE_SKIPPING?

Well, that's a fair point, I guess.  If we go that that route, we'll
need to make sure that setting the reloption doesn't prevent VACUUM
FULL from working -- the complaint must only affect an explicit option
on the VACUUM command line.  I think we should have a regression test
for that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system