Re: Optimization for lazy_scan_heap

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Optimization for lazy_scan_heap
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 4:03 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 7 September 2016 at 04:13, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Since current HEAD could scan visibility map twice, the execution time
>>> of Patched is approximately half of HEAD.
>>
>> Sounds good.
>>
>> To ensure we are doing exactly same amount of work as before, did you
>> see the output of VACUUM VEROBOSE?
>
> Sorry, the previous test result I posted was something wrong.
> I rerun the performance test and results are,
>
> * 1TB Table(visibility map size is 32MB)
> HEAD : 4853.250 ms (00:04.853)
> Patched : 3805.789 ms (00:03.806)
>
> * 8TB Table(visibility map size is 257MB)
> HEAD : 37853.891 ms (00:37.854)
> Patched : 30153.943 ms (00:30.154)
>
> * 32TB Table(visibility map size is 1GB)
> HEAD: 151908.344 ms (02:31.908)
> Patched: 120560.037 ms (02:00.560)
>
> Since visibility map page can be cached onto shared buffer or OS cache
> by first scanning, the benefit of this patch seems not to be large.

Yeah, that's not nearly as good as the first set of results.  Maybe
it's still worth doing, but if you need to have a 32TB table to save
as much as 30 seconds, we don't have much of a problem here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
Сообщение: Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem