Re: More inaccurate results from numeric pow()

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: More inaccurate results from numeric pow()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doing some more testing of the numeric code patched in [1] I noticed
> another case where the result is inaccurate -- computing 0.12 ^
> -2345.6 gives a very large number containing 2162 digits, but only the
> first 2006 correct, while the last 156 digits are wrong.

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell?  Where do you get alternate
output to compare against?

Also, I wonder what we think the contract with the user is in cases
like this.  Surely, if we were dealing with floating point numbers,
nobody would expect a calculation like this to be accurate beyond the
first n digits, where n is surely much less than 2006.  I like the
fact that numeric has a lot more precision than any built-in floating
point type, but does it have to get every digit in front of the
decimal point exactly right no matter how many there are?

rhaas=# select tan(pi()::numeric/2), tan(pi()/2);      tan       |         tan
-----------------+----------------------618986325617924 | 1.63312393531954e+16
(1 row)

--
Robert Haas