Re: getting rid of SnapshotNow

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: getting rid of SnapshotNow
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I am more concerned about the care needed when placing
> CommandCounterIncrement()'s somewhere though. It seems more than likely
> that this will get repeatedly broken, even if it's not atm (which I
> doubt). E.g. inheritance handling seems to be rather wonky WRT this.

There may well be bugs.  I am fine with reviewing patches to improve
the code in this area, but I don't plan to take it upon myself to
rewrite that code.  Either it's working as expected, or nobody's using
it, because we're not getting any bug reports.

>> Not that I really object if someone wants to have a go at getting rid
>> of SnapshotSelf, but I think it'd be worth articulating what we hope
>> to accomplish by so doing.
>
> Agreed. From the internal usages there doesn't seem to be too much
> pressure.

So unless there are objections to the patch as posted, I'm going to
apply that next week.  This in no way precludes more work in this area
later, but since we're likely to break third-party code with this
change, we might as well get it out of the way as early in the release
cycle as possible.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company