Re: pg_basebackup --slot=SLOTNAME -X stream

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_basebackup --slot=SLOTNAME -X stream
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> I started working on that at some point long ago, but never got far enough.
>
> Right now, it seems the right way to do that is to somehow reimplement it on
> top of a "lightweight slot" that gets automatically destroyed when
> pg_basebackup stops.
>
> But as Andres said, there's a little more to it. You'd want the slot to be
> created in the connection that does BASE_BACKUP, then used by the
> replication client side, and then destroyed by BASE_BACKUP. But you also
> want it auto-destroyed if the BASE_BACKUP connection gets terminated for
> example..

The slot machinery already has provision for drop-on-release slots.
But I don't think we expose that at the protocol level in any way just
yet.   CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT ... TEMPORARY or something might not be
that hard, but at this point I think it's too late to invent new
things for 9.4.  I am hoping for a raft of improvements to the slot
stuff for next release, but trying to do that now seems like pushing
our luck.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company