Re: backup manifests

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: backup manifests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 11:06 PM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> > I don't think it's a good idea to duplicate the information that's
> > already in the backup_label. Storing two copies of the same
> > information is just an invitation to having to worry about what
> > happens if they don't agree.
>
> OK, but now we have backup_label, tablespace_map,
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.backup (in the WAL) and now perhaps a
> backup.manifest file.  I feel like we may be drowning in backup info files.

I agree!

I'm not sure what to do about it, though.  The information that is
present in the tablespace_map file could have been stored in the
backup_label file, I think, and that would have made sense, because
both files are serving a very similar purpose: they tell the server
that it needs to do some non-standard stuff when it starts up, and
they give it instructions for what those things are. And, as a
secondary purpose, humans or third-party tools can read them and use
that information for whatever purpose they wish.

The proposed backup_manifest file is a little different. I don't think
that anyone is proposing that the server should read that file: it is
there solely for the purpose of helping our own tools or third-party
tools or human beings who are, uh, acting like tools.[1] We're also
proposing to put it in a different place: the backup_label goes into
one of the tar files, but the backup_manifest would sit outside of any
tar file.

If we were designing this from scratch, maybe we'd roll all of this
into one file that serves as backup manifest, tablespace map, backup
label, and backup history file, but then again, maybe separating the
instructions-to-the-server part from the backup-integrity-checking
part makes sense.  At any rate, even if we knew for sure that's the
direction we wanted to go, getting there from here looks a bit rough.
If we just add a backup manifest, people who don't care can mostly
ignore it and then should be mostly fine. If we start trying to create
the one backup information system to rule them all, we're going to
break people's tools. Maybe that's worth doing someday, but the paint
isn't even dry on removing recovery.conf yet.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

[1] There are a surprising number of installations where, in effect,
the DBA is the backup-and-restore tool, performing all the steps by
hand and hoping not to mess any of them up. The fact that nearly every
PostgreSQL company offers tools to make this easier does not seem to
have done a whole lot to diminish the number of people using ad-hoc
solutions.