Re: BUG #8395: empty aclitem arrays are considered 1-dimensional

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: BUG #8395: empty aclitem arrays are considered 1-dimensional
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 04:17:55PM +0000, bashtanov@imap.cc wrote:
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Bug reference:      8395
>> Logged by:          Alexey Bashtanov
>> Email address:      bashtanov@imap.cc
>> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.9
>> Operating system:   Ubuntu linux 12.04
>>
>> Empty aclitem arrays are considered 1-dimensional, but in general empty
>> arrays are 0-dimensional. It leads to the following problems:
>>

>> STEPS TO REPRODUCE
>> 1) install fresh postgres, connect to it
>> 2) select relacl, relacl = '{}'::aclitem[], (select aclexplode(relacl)),
>> array_length(relacl, 1) from pg_class where oid::regclass =
>> 'pg_largeobject'::regclass;
>> 3) select aclexplode('{}'::aclitem[]);
>>

>> EXPECTED
>> 2) {}, false, null, null
>> 3) no error, zero-lines table
>>

>> GOT
>> 2)  relacl | ?column? | ?column? | array_length
>> --------+----------+----------+--------------
>>  {}     | f        |          |            0
>> 3) ERROR:  ACL arrays must be one-dimensional
>>

>> also it can be reproduced on some 9.2 version
>
> Can someone comment on this bug report?

It looks legit on first glance.  Probably there's code someplace that
is setting ndims to 1 unconditionally, instead of setting it to 1 when
there are elements and 0 when there are none.  On the other hand,
changing that might break things too, because I'm fairly sure we have
code in a variety of places that verifies that arrays in system
catalogs are always 1-D.  So fixing this could be quite a chore.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company