Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream
Дата
Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 3:55 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The code delta is small enough that I don't foresee any real maintenance
> problem if we let the back branches differ from HEAD/v13 on this point.
> What I'm concerned about is that people depending on the existing
> behavior are likely to wake up one fine morning and discover that it's
> broken after a routine tzdata update.  I think that it'd be a better
> user experience for them to see a release-note entry in a PG update
> release explaining that this will break and here's what to do to fix it.

I was assuming that if you did an update of the tzdata, you'd notice
if posixrules had been nuked. I guess that wouldn't help people who
are using the system tzdata, though. It might be nice to know what
Debian, RHEL, etc. plan to do about this, but I'm not sure how
practical it is to find out.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company