Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Introduce dynamic shared memory areas.

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Introduce dynamic shared memory areas.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Also, given that the idea of
>>> DSA seems to be to support a number of different use-cases, I'm not
>>> sure that it's useful to have a knob that limits the total consumption
>>> rather than individual areas.  IOW: who exactly is going to call
>>> dsa_set_size_limit, and on what grounds would they compute the limit?
>
>> The code that creates the DSA is going to call it.
>
> Ah, I misunderstood: from the name of the field and the way you'd
> described it, I thought it was a limit on the total space used across
> all DSAs.  A per-DSA limit does make sense.

OK, good.  I was rather puzzled as to how that didn't seem like a good
thing to have available.  I'm going to go change SIZE_MAX to (Size) -1
now and we can decide later if something else should be done.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company