Re: Why is pq_begintypsend so slow?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Why is pq_begintypsend so slow?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 2:10 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Why do we need multiple buffers? ISTM we don't want to just send
> messages at endmsg() time, because that implies unnecessary syscall
> overhead. Nor do we want to imply the overhead of the copy from the
> message buffer to the network buffer.

It would only matter if there are multiple messages being constructed
at the same time, and that's probably not common, but maybe there's
some way it can happen. It doesn't seem like it really costs anything
to allow for it, and it might be useful sometime. For instance,
consider your idea of using Linux black magic to do zero-copy sends.
Now you either need multiple buffers, or you need one big buffer that
you can recycle a bit at a time.

> To me that seems to imply that the best approach would be to have
> PqSendBuffer be something stringbuffer like, and have pg_beginmessage()
> record the starting position of the current message somewhere
> (->cursor?). When an error is thrown, we reset the position to be where
> the in-progress message would have begun.

Yeah, I thought about that, but then how you detect the case where two
different people try to undertake message construction at the same
time?

Like, with the idea I was proposing, you could still decide to limit
yourself to 1 buffer at the same time, and just elog() if someone
tries to allocate a second buffer when you've already reached the
maximum number of allocated buffers (i.e. one). But if you just have
one buffer in a global variable and everybody writes into it, you
might not notice if some unrelated code writes data into that buffer
in the middle of someone else's message construction. Doing it the way
I proposed, writing data requires passing a buffer pointer, so you can
be sure that somebody had to get the buffer from somewhere... and any
rules you want to enforce can be enforced at that point.

> I've before wondered / suggested that we should have StringInfos not
> insist on having one consecutive buffer (which obviously implies needing
> to copy contents when growing). Instead it should have a list of buffers
> containing chunks of the data, and never copy contents around while the
> string is being built. We'd only allocate a buffer big enough for all
> data when the caller actually wants to have all the resulting data in
> one string (rather than using an API that can iterate over chunks).

It's a thought. I doubt it's worth it for small amounts of data, but
for large amounts it might be. On the other hand, a better idea still
might be to size the buffer correctly from the start...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company