Re: Extension Templates S03E11

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 3:12 AM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> So if we do it this way, then we should pick a new name, like "package".

That was my first reaction as well, when I looked at this a few years
ago, but I've since backed away from that position.  You're certainly
correct that it's awkward to have a single kind of object that behaves
in two radically different ways, but it's also pretty awkward to have
the same "stuff" installed as one of two completely different types of
objects depending on who installed it and how.

If we're targeting deployment of user-written application code, then I
can see that it might make sense to have a different concept than
"extension" for that, because arguably it's a different problem,
though it's no longer clear to me that it's all that much different.
But if we're talking about deployment of the same PGXN code (or
wherever upstream lives) either by a DBA who is also the sysadmin (and
can thus run make install or yum install) or one who is not (and thus
wishes to proceed entirely via libpq) then making those two different
concepts seems like it might be slicing awfully thin.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company