Re: When should be advocate external projects?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: When should be advocate external projects?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Agreed except under this definition:
>
> No other open source tool provides the solution.
>
> Right now for logical replication that uses the logical decoding API that
> PostgreSQL provides there is exactly "1" solution and that is PgLogical.
> That doesn't mean their aren't other Logical Replication solutions (Slony
> for example) but nobody in their right mind can say that Slony is the better
> choice for "standard master/slave" replication.

Well, this is exactly why it's hard to reach agreement on what should
be in a software catalog.  pglogical hit version 1.0 just 15 days ago,
and you're ready to say that anyone who thinks they might instead want
to use a tool that's been in production use for 10 years is crazy.
I'm going to say I disagree.  I do not believe people using pglogical
are crazy, and I don't believe people who are using Slony or Bucardo
or Londiste are crazy either.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company