Re: initdb -S and tablespaces

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: initdb -S and tablespaces
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2015-05-04 14:23:16 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> > As for the non-backpatchable 0002, I agree with Andres that it should be
>> > included in 9.5; but I take it you're still not convinced?
>>
>> No, I'm not convinced.  That patch will protect you in one extremely
>> specific scenario: you turn off fsync, do some stuff, shut down, turn
>> fsync back on again, and start up.
>
> Hm. ISTM it'd not be hard to actually make it safe in nearly all
> situations. What about tracking the last checkpoint's fsync setting and
> do a fsync_pgdata() in the checkpointer at the end of a checkpointer if
> the previous setting was off and the current one is on?  Combined with
> doing so at startup if the settings changed between runs, that should
> give pretty decent protection. And seems fairly simple to implement.

That seems a bit better.  I think it's really important, if we're
going to start to try to make fsync=off anything other than a toy,
that we document really clearly the circumstances in which it is or is
not safe:

- If you crash while fsync=off, your cluster may be corrupted.
- If you crash while fsync=on, but it was off at the last checkpoint,
your cluster may be corrupted.
- If you turn fsync=off, do stuff, turn fsync=on, and checkpoint
successfully, a subsequent crash should not corrupt anything.

Of course, even the last one isn't totally bullet-proof.  Suppose one
backend fails to absorb the new setting for some reason...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company