Re: Initial 9.2 pgbench write results

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Initial 9.2 pgbench write results
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A second pass through this data noted that the maximum number of buffers
>>> cleaned by the background writer is <=2785 in 9.0/9.1, while it goes as high
>>> as 17345 times in 9.2.  The background writer is so busy now it hits the
>>> max_clean limit around 147 times in the slower[1] of the 9.2 runs.  That's
>>> an average of once every 4 seconds, quite frequent.  Whereas max_clean
>>> rarely happens in the comparable 9.0/9.1 results.  This is starting to point
>>> my finger more toward this being an unintended consequence of the background
>>> writer/checkpointer split.
>>
>> I guess the question that occurs to me is: why is it busier?
>>
>> It may be that the changes we've made to reduce lock contention are
>> allowing foreground processes to get work done faster.  When they get
>> work done faster, they dirty more buffers, and therefore the
>> background writer gets busier.  Also, if the background writer is more
>> reliably cleaning pages even during checkpoints, that could have the
>> same effect.  Backends write fewer of their own pages, therefore they
>> get more real work done, which of course means dirtying more pages.
>
> The checkpointer/bgwriter split allows the bgwriter to do more work,
> which is the desired outcome, not an unintended consequence.
>
> The general increase in performance means there is more work to do. So
> both things mean there is more bgwriter activity.

I think you're saying pretty much the same thing I was saying, so I agree.

Here's what's bugging me.  Greg seemed to be assuming that the
business of the background writer might be the cause of the
performance drop-off he measured on certain test cases.  But you and I
both seem to feel that the business of the background writer is
intentional and desirable.  Supposing we're right, where's the
drop-off coming from?  *scratches head*

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Notes about fixing regexes and UTF-8 (yet again)
Сообщение: Re: Notes about fixing regexes and UTF-8 (yet again)