Re: making relfilenodes 56 bits

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: making relfilenodes 56 bits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 3:29 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Why did you choose a quite small value for VAR_RFN_PREFETCH? VAR_OID_PREFETCH
> is 8192, but you chose 64 for VAR_RFN_PREFETCH?

As Dilip mentioned, I suggested a lower value. If that's too low, we
can go higher, but I think there is value in not making this
excessively large. Somebody somewhere is going to have a database
that's crash-restarting like mad, and I don't want that person to run
through an insane number of relfilenodes for no reason. I don't think
there are going to be a lot of people creating thousands upon
thousands of relations in a short period of time, and I'm not sure
that it's a big deal if those who do end up having to wait for a few
extra xlog flushes.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com