Re: 10.0

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Any project that starts inflating its numbering scheme sends a message to
>> users of the form, "hey, we've just been taken over by marketing people, and
>> software quality will go down from now on."
>
> I don't think this is about version number inflation, but actually more
> the opposite.  What you're calling the major number is really a marketing
> number.  There is not a technical distinction between major releases where
> we choose to bump the first number and those where we choose to bump the
> second.  It's all about marketing.  So to me, merging those numbers would
> be an anti-marketing move.  I think it's a good move: it would be more
> honest and transparent about what the numbers mean, not less so.

"Marketing" and "honesty" are not antonyms, and thinking that
marketing is unimportant for the success of the project is not
correct.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Windows service is not starting so there’s message in log: FATAL: "could not create shared memory segment “Global/PostgreSQL.851401618”: Permission denied”