Re: Reduce lock levels others reloptions in ALTER TABLE

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Reduce lock levels others reloptions in ALTER TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some time ago we added [1] the infrastructure to allow different lock levels
> for relation options.
>
> So per discussion [2] the attached patch reduce lock levels down to
> ShareUpdateExclusiveLock for:
> - fastupdate
> - fillfactor
> - gin_pending_list_limit
> - seq_page_cost
> - random_page_cost
> - n_distinct
> - n_distinct_inherited
> - buffering

I am of the opinion that there needs to be comments or a README or
some kind of documentation somewhere indicating the rationale for the
lock levels we choose here.  Just changing it without analyzing why a
certain level is sufficient for safety and no higher than necessary
seems poor.  And the reasoning should be documented for future
readers.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding
Сообщение: Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding