Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 12:09 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Is it actually better?  The basic problem with backtrace() is that it
> only knows about global functions, and so reports call sites in static
> functions as if they were in whatever global function physically precedes
> the static one.  I think doing materially better requires depending on
> debug symbols, which (at least in the Red Hat world) aren't going to
> be there in a typical production situation.

I don't have an opinion on glibc vs. libunwind, but I don't understand
this argument.  If you are unlucky enough to have a production server
that is crashing due to some hitherto-unknown bug, and if it's not
possible to get a good backtrace without installing debugging symbols,
then you are going to have to pick between (1) installing those
debugging symbols and (2) getting a poor backtrace.  I don't really
see that as a problem so much as just the way life is.  You can't
expect to get good debugging output without debugging symbols, just as
you can't expect to get a clean audit without bank statements or a
clear idea of how to find your way to an unknown destination without a
map.  If you don't have the thing that contains the information that
is needed, you can't get the information; c'est la vie.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company