Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 3:07 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-10-06 at 13:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > What I think people really want is a whole column in
> > some encoding that isn't the normal one for that database.
>
> Do people really want that? I'd be curious to know why.

Because it's a feature that exists in other products and so having it
eases migrations and/or replication of data between systems.

I'm not saying that there are a lot of people who want this, any more.
I think there used to be more interest in it. But the point of the
comment was that people who want multiple character set support want
it as a per-column property, not a per-value property. I've never
heard of anyone wanting to store text blobs in multiple distinct
character sets in the same column. But I have heard of people wanting
text blobs in multiple distinct character sets in the same database,
each one in its own column.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Сообщение: Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session