Re: Building infrastructure for B-Tree deduplication that recognizeswhen opclass equality is also equivalence

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Building infrastructure for B-Tree deduplication that recognizeswhen opclass equality is also equivalence
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 4:25 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> I think that that's probably not desirable. There should at least be a
> strong practical advantage if we go that way. This would mean ALTER
> OPERATOR CLASS could change the "substance" of an opclass, which is
> fundamentally different from what it can do already (it currently just
> changes the owner, or the schema that it is stored in).

My impression is that this is more of an implementation restriction
than a design goal. I don't really remember the details, but it seems
to me that there were locking and/or cache invalidation problems with
making ALTER OPERATOR CLASS do more substantive things -- and that it
was because of those problems, not a lack of desire, that we didn't
support it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: global / super barriers (for checksums)
Сообщение: Re: global / super barriers (for checksums)