Re: SLRU statistics

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: SLRU statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 2:27 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> Therefore what we can do right now seems to make checkpointer report the SLRU
> stats while it's running. Other issues need more time to investigate...
> Thought?

I'm confused by why SLRU statistics are reported by messages sent to
the stats collector rather than by just directly updating shared
memory. For database or table statistics there can be any number of
objects and we can't know in advance how many there will be, so we
can't set aside shared memory for the stats in advance. For SLRUs,
there's no such problem. Just having the individual backends
periodically merge their accumulated backend-local counters into the
shared counters seems like it would be way simpler and more
performant.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company