Re: Initial release notes created for 9.6

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Initial release notes created for 9.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Please review and comment before Monday, if you can.

Overall, I think this looks pretty great.  Thanks for pulling it
together so quickly.  Various nitpicky comments below.

+       <para>
+        Extend relations multiple blocks at a time (Dilip Kumar)
+       </para>
+
+       <para>
+        This reduces kernel traffic, and improves scalability when multiple
+        processes are inserting into the same relation.
+       </para>
+      </listitem>

I think this should be rephrased so as to make it clear that we only
do this when there is contention.

+<!--
+2016-04-10 [008608b9d] Avoid the use of a separate spinlock to protect a LWLock
+-->
+       <para>
+        Use atomic operations, rather than a spinlock, to protect an LWLock's
+        wait queue (Andres Freund)
+       </para>
+      </listitem>
+
+      <listitem>

This was basically an attempt to cure a defect in 48354581a and could
perhaps be lumped under that item.

+       <para>
+        Force backends to exit if the postmaster dies
+        (Rajeev Rastogi and Robert Haas)
+       </para>
+

Separator between names should probably be a comma rather than "and".

+       <para>
+        Ensure that trigonometric functions handle infinity and NaN inputs per
+        spec (Dean Rasheed)
+       </para>

"per spec" is pretty vague. What spec?  And how about spelling out
"specification"?

+       <para>
+        An example usage is <literal>CHECK(num_nonnulls(a,b,c) = 1)</> which
+        asserts that exactly one of a,b,c isn't NULL.  These functions can
+        also be pressed into service to count the number of null or nonnull
+        elements in an array.
+       </para>

"pressed into service"?  If it's a hack, let's not mention it at all.
If it's not a hack, let's just say the functions can do that, plain
and simple.

+       <para>
+        This function converts strings like those produced
+        by <function>pg_size_pretty()</> into sizes in bytes.  An example
+        usage is <literal>WHERE pg_total_relation_size(oid) >
+        pg_size_bytes('10 GB')</>.
+       </para>

I would be inclined to expend a few more bytes to turn that into a
complete SQL query, like "SELECT oid::regclass FROM pg_class
WHERE...".

+       <para>
+        In <function>pg_size_pretty()</>, format negative numbers similarly to
+        positive ones (Adrian Vondendriesch)
+       </para>

Maybe add: "Previously, the suffix for a negative number was always
'bytes', never 'kB', 'MB', 'GB', or 'TB'".  Or something like that.

+       <para>
+        Add an optional <replaceable>missing_ok</> argument to
+        the <function>current_setting()</> function (David Christensen)
+       </para>

Adjust text to clarify that it suppresses the error for a nonexisting setting?

+       <para>
+        Improve error reporting during <application>initdb</>'s post-bootstrap
+        phase, by not reporting the entire input file as the <quote>failing
+        query</> (Tom Lane)
+       </para>

This reads oddly to me  How about "When initdb fails during the
post-bootstrap phase, report the failing query rather than the
entirety of the file that contained it"?

+       <para>
+        Consider performing sorts on the remote server (Ashutosh Bapat)
+       </para>
+      </listitem>
+
+      <listitem>
+<!--
+2016-02-09 [e4106b252] postgres_fdw: Push down joins to remote servers.
+2016-03-09 [aa09cd242] postgres_fdw: Consider foreign joining and foreign sorti
+-->
+       <para>
+        Push down joins to the remote server when possible (Shigeru Hanada,
+        Ashutosh Bapat)
+       </para>

I think these could be worded the same way.  Like maybe "Consider
performing sorts on the remote server" and "Consider performing joins
on the remote server".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company