Re: [HACKERS] Something for the TODO list: deprecating abstime and friends

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Something for the TODO list: deprecating abstime and friends
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Or in other words, I don't want to go from
> "might disappear" in vN to gone in vN+1 with no intermediate state.

I see no problem with that.  First, we remove things all the time with
no deprecation warning at all when we judge that they are dead enough,
or just unsalvageable.  Second, if we have said that something might
disappear and then it disappears, anyone who is unhappy about that is
being unreasonable.

In other words, I don't want to have a project policy that we will not
only put a deprecation notice on everything we remove, but it will
always be worded in a certain way.  If you're trying to streamline the
process of deprecating features, that's going in the exact wrong
direction.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company