Re: a path towards replacing GEQO with something better

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: a path towards replacing GEQO with something better
Дата
Re: a path towards replacing GEQO with something better  (John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 2:16 PM John Naylor
<john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > I don't quite understand the difference between the "chain" case and
> > the "star" case. Can you show sample queries for each one? e.g. SELECT
> > ... FROM a_1, a_2, ..., a_n WHERE <something>?
>
> SELECT  *
> FROM    tab1, tab2, tab3, tab4
> WHERE   tab1.col = tab2.col AND
>     tab2.col = tab3.col AND
>     tab3.col = tab4.col
>
> SELECT  *
> FROM    tab1, tab2, tab3, tab4
> WHERE   tab1.col = tab2.col AND
>     tab1.col = tab3.col AND
>     tab1.col = tab4.col

I feel like these are completely equivalent. Either way, the planner
is going to deduce that all the ".col" columns are equal to each other
via the equivalence class machinery, and then the subsequent planning
will be absolutely identical. Or am I missing something?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com