Re: uuid-ossp (Re: [pgsql-packagers] Postgresapp 9.4 beta build ready)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: uuid-ossp (Re: [pgsql-packagers] Postgresapp 9.4 beta build ready)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:28 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> So, having seen that proof-of-concept, I'm wondering if we shouldn't make
>>> an effort to support contrib/uuid-ossp with a choice of UUID libraries
>>> underneath it.  There is a non-OSSP set of UUID library functions
>>> available on Linux ("libuuid" from util-linux-ng).  I don't know whether
>>> that's at all compatible with the BSD functions, but even if it's not,
>>> presumably a shim for it wouldn't be much larger than the BSD patch.
>
>> Well, if you want to do the work, I'm fine with that.  But if you want
>> to just shoot uuid-ossp in the head, I'm fine with that, too.  As
>> Peter says, perfectly reasonable alternatives are available.
>
> Well, *I* don't want to do that work.  I was hoping to find a volunteer,
> but the silence has been notable.  I think deprecation is the next step.

If we can't get it fixed up, I think we should remove it outright.  If
we merely deprecate it, then either people will still be trying to
build and package it (in which case we haven't solved any problem), or
we'll never get around to really removing it, or both.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company