Re: extension_control_path

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: extension_control_path
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would be nice if we can use "git apply" command...

"git apply" seems to have raised pedantry to an art form.  Not only
won't it apply patches in any format other than the one it likes,
it'll fail to apply any part of the patch if there are any failing
hunks; I don't think it tolerates fuzz, either.  You can override some
of these behaviors but not all of them.  It seems like somebody
designed this tool more with the idea of preventing people from
applying patches than actually doing it.

"patch", on the other hand, makes the very reasonable assumption that
if you didn't want to apply the patch, you wouldn't have run the
"patch" command in the first place.  It does its best to make sense of
whatever you feed it, and if it can't apply the whole thing, it still
applies as much as it can.  I find this much more desirable behavior.
It may be the policy of other projects to reject patches for trivial
formatting mistakes or minor fuzz, but it's not the policy here, and I
think that's a good thing.  We typically bounce things for rebasing if
there are actual rejects, but not otherwise.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company