Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 11:48 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> We don't even need to make it an exclusive mode -- we can allow *nonexclusive* backups but remove the requirement to
runstart and stop backup in the same connection, which I believe is the problem that people have with the exclusive
mode.

Well, one of the big advantages of the non-exclusive mode is that the
backup automatically is terminated if the connection is closed, which
removes the possibility of leaving a backup in progress for a long
time inadvertently. I think that back-tracking on that would probably
be a step in the wrong direction.

I agree with what I understand to be Bruce's position -- non-exclusive
backup mode is better than exclusive mode backup mode, but exclusive
backup mode is not broken and doesn't need to be removed. I think it's
very sensible to continue to support exclusive backup mode but to
encourage users to use non-exclusive backup mode instead. I find
Stephen's position that exclusive backup mode cannot be used safely to
be unsupported by any compelling evidence, and reviewing the thread, I
find that there are a LOT of people who seem to agree.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: SQL-standard function body
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode